Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It takes a village...

This past week has been extremely overwhelming and stressful; I haven't taken the time I usually do to pray or go to mass. I stumbled across this quote the other week and decided to look deeper into it. After reading it more thoroughly, I realized that when I do pray, I feel better because I start to think of others and what they are going through rather than my own troubles. When I look at other people's lives and struggles, it brings me back down to earth. The line "...but now I know prayer changes us and we change people" really hit me hard. Since becoming more involved in my faith, I feel like a different - better - person and because of that I have been able to see wrong things in the world and attempt to do something about it. 

Gandhi said, "Be the change that you wish to see in the world," and I believe that in order to change anything in this world, you must rise up and make the change. For me, I don't always have the strength make things happen on my own; I need God. It's so important to realize that whether you believe in my God, another god, or no god, you cannot do it alone. Everyone needs a support system and if we all come together, we can end the evils of the world. 

I grew up extremely lucky in a loving family and nurturing environment; however, not everyone is as lucky. I have been fortunate enough to attend Catholic school my entire life and of to a four year college based on Jesuit values. Being able to study at LUC has opened my mind to so many other cultures and worlds. So many of my friends have come form all over the country and have each taught me something about their values and beliefs. Attending Loyola has helped me to grow as a person and understand myself in a deeper way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment